Tuesday, October 11, 2011

A Fair(y) Use Tale http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cjn_jC4FNDo

Wicked!!!!
Disney (c) must be reeling from this fall out of cinematic montage. 
I can't tell you how much of a rellief it was to watch  this video.  Everytime I want to develop a presentation or work up a lesson I worry about the use of copyrighted materials.  Especially the consumable kind.  Those consumable materials are not only copyrighted, the very nature of their purpose guarantees that you have an expiration period before you have to go out and pay again for the same material.  How unfair is that?  You pay high dollar for a half-way decent graphic organizer and as soon as you use it (as designed), you loose it.  Of course there might be gray areas of use that may be open to interpretation.  If I were to laminate a consumable worksheet and allow students to write with an eraseable marker then "Have I violated copyright law?"  Then on the otherside of that coin, if I were to photocopy the same form 500 times do you think that I have violated Copyright laws?  Another thing is, if you were to take that same laminated worksheet and leave it somewhere that kids can access and under their own volition make copies of it...Have I violated copyright laws?  Vague and gray, just how I like it.
I am sure that if I was on the other side of that law, I would not be too fond of such creativity.  As teachers I believe we should be afforded the use of materials if it is for use in the educational environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment